This one-day RYA first aid course, is aimed at anyone who goes afloat. You may be a yachtsman doing channel passages or a powerboater out on Southampton water. The course is designed to take in many regular first aid topics’ and relateing these to being afloat and the practicalities of being on a boat.
It is thought that knowing a little first aid even in a remote location can give a casualty the time to survive while help is called.
The course is usually taught by our principal instructor who has over 30 000 miles at sea including Atlantic crossings.
To book choose a date in the calender on the right or if you can't see a date call us on 07834733323
It fulfils the requirements for:
- Professional skippers of small craft working within 60 miles of a safe haven, including Boat masters.
- The Senior First Aid Certificate needed by offshore racers subject to ISAF's regulations on first aid training (OSR 4.08.4).
- Dinghy Instructors.
- Power Boat Instructors
- Sailing Instructors
The subjects specific to boating include:
- The recovery position in a confined space
- CPR, including the drowning protocol
- Cold shock and hypothermia fromimmersion and/or exposure
- Seasickness and dehydration
- Medical assistance or advice by VHF
- Helicopter rescue
- Use of AED's
Duration 8 Hours
For skippers, mates and instructors, working on MCA coded vessels this course includes the regulations of Category C First Aid Kit and its contents.
£89 includes in the RYA First Aid Pack worth £7.50, which can be provided as a book or an EBOOK please state at time of booking.
Our teaching will take place normally at Hythe Community Centre. http://www.hythecommunity.org.uk. or Hythe Marina, both are only a two-minute walk from Hythe Ferry which gives easy access to the mainline railway station in Southampton. There is a café in the centre, or alternatively, there are sandwich shops and coffee shops close by. We will provide tea and coffee, but please bring or expect to buy some lunch. We will only have 30 minutes break for lunch as well as a coffee break in the morning and afternoon. If you require a list of B&B accommodation in Hythe please feel free to ask.